One of the best things about Instagram, at least for me, is how it enables you to see the place you live in a new and often wonderful way.
This week’s Lumia Instagramer is a brilliant example. I’ve lived in Finland for nearly ten years, yet Satu Ranto’s Instagram feed regularly showcases the beauty of Suomi in a way, which makes me see how magical Finnish nature really is. Satu, who lives in Uusikaupunki in southern Finland, only joined Instagram in March. “I joined up as soon as I got my Lumia 1020,” she says. “I’m still amazed by all the incredible pictures people take there and I find great inspiration from them. I also really appreciate the kindness and support other Lumia instagramers give each other.” We couldn’t agree more. But before you see how this incredible community has helped shape Satu’s photography, let’s find out more about her life with her Lumia.
Which Lumia do you have and what do you like most about it?
I’ve had the Nokia Lumia 1020 for three months now. And of course the amazing camera is the thing I like most about it. It really is quite incredible. Picture quality is impressive and the fact that you can adjust settings manually really makes this phone stand out.
Where do you shoot most of your photos and what sort of photos do you like to take best?
Since the phone is so easy to carry with you it’s easy to take pictures pretty much of everything. The amount of pictures I have has increased significantly in the last couple of months. What I’ve noticed is that my gallery is full of landscape picures or nature in someway. I really love the early mornings or late evenings, light is magical then. And of course reflection photos, when ever there is a chance I try to shoot them.
What are your top tips for taking Instagram photos on your Lumia?
First of all, take a lot of pictures. Experiment with different settings and see what works best for you. I also recommend using the square grid to help you see what the picture looks like when cropped to Instagram. And always crop pictures with the Nokia camera app to get the best use of those 41 megapixels.
Try to have fun photographing and interact with people in Instagram, respond to comments and tell someone if you like their pictures and style.
Which five Lumia instagramers do you recommend everyone to follow?
There are so many great Lumia instagramers, here are just a few
What are your 10 favourite Lumia Instagram photos?
1. This is the very first puddlegram I ever took. I was wondering around in the forest with my son and found a puddle so I had to try.
2. This was taken at 5am on my way to work. I love the morning light.
3. One very foggy morning, I took a lot of pictures. This is one of my favourites.
4. This was also early in the morning. It was so peaceful and the reflection caught my attention.
5. This remainds me about a great day sailing with friends. I love the Finnish archipelago.
6. I happened to be by the lake at just at the right time when the sun hit the watershower.
7. I love watching fishermen disappear into the fog.
8. With my sons and again found a puddle. I couldn’t resist.
9. Got quite close before the seagull flew way.
10. Evening light by the lake.
We’re hope you’re loving Satu’s amazing images as much as us. If the answer’s yes, be sure to follow her on Instagram. And if you’re a Lumia Instagramer who’d like to see their work celebrated here, follow us on Instagram or share your best pics with #Lumia, or both. In the meantime, we’d love to know which of Satu’s photos showcased here you enjoyed most.