Like everywhere else in UAE, they continue to build to attract more people to visit this wonderful part of the world. And Yas Island, Abu Dhabi is no different. Last time I visited on my #nbanAdventrues, was for the opening of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, the worlds largest indoor theme park.
This time the main reason for my visit was the fabulous Yas Waterworld, the UAE’s first mega waterpark, set across 15 hectares of the exciting entertainment complex that is Yas Island. The park offers 45 rides, slides and attractions with something there for the whole family.
As it is Abu Dhabi, of course they have a Roof Souq, where you can purchase all manner of branded items to take home.
The award-winning theme of Yas Waterworld is based on an original story that pays tribute to the Emirati culture with the UAE’s pearl-diving heritage at the core, with The Pearl Diving show, is a really unique touch, that has been well thought out and provides that little bit of something extra, that other water parks don’t have.
Visitors will experience fun and adventure on rides and attractions never seen before in waterparks, such as the world’s longest, fastest tornado waterslide, the region’s first looping waterslide and the world’s first interactive water and laser roller coaster – The Bandit Bomber.
It is the Bandit Bomber that really captured my attention when I arrived in the park. I could tell you about the many slides and rides here, and as fantastic as they are, you know what a slide is. However the Bandit Bomber is something really cool.
It is a roller coaster located with Yas Waterworld that operates using an interactive water system. On each seat of the ride a laser gun is attatched, so while the ride is in motion, riders can shoot targets that activates ground effects like water jets, water cannons, etc. It addition to that, it allows you to press a big button at various times that allow you to soak the people below. It is great fun indeed.
Yas Waterworld has captured the worlds attention since it opened, with these being just a few of the awards and reconditions to date:
- Named the “second best waterpark in the world” by the Los Angeles Times – Global Ranking of the World’s Top 20 Waterparks feature in May 2013.
- Listed by CNN as one of the top 12 water parks in the world in July 2013.
- Won the World Travel Awards award for the Middle East’s Leading Tourist Attraction of the year 2013.
- Won the Leading Edge Award at the World Waterpark Association’s Annual Show, in Las Vegas, USA in October 2012.
- The Bandit Bomber is the first rollercoaster to be incorporated into a waterpark and was ranked amongst the world’s newest, biggest and baddest roller coasters for the summer of 2013, by CNN.
– Storing money on your wristband
– Cabana rental
– Free WIFI
– Family changing rooms
– Vast array of slides and rides
– Professional staff
– Having to pay for lockers once inside
– Limited choice of food and drink available for vegetarians (mostly burgers, etc. when I was there, but it was ramadan when I attended and there was, understandably, limited availability at that time.)
A very good day out and something that must-do activity when visiting UAE.
All images captured on Nokia Lumia 1020 WindowsPhone
Videos to check out: